||Hanko Front Museum
The Harpaskog Fortress Area in Hanko
The Continuation War having proceeded to the stage when the Germans occupied Estonia,
the enemy was in a plight in their Hanko base. The maintenance connections overland had
already been cut at the outbreak of the war and the loss of Estonia hampered the sea
connection with Lenigrad. The Finnish troops occupied Hanko on December 4, 1941. At this
stage the Soviet base had already been evacuated by sea in early December. During the
evacuation (on the Josef Stalin vessel, for example) the Soviet troops suffered
considerable losses on the sea.
There is a memorial stone on the site
of the parade. It can be found with the help of a road sign on the Hanko-Hyvinkää road a
few kilometres north of the front museum. There are also Finnish fortress devices
alongside the same road. These devices were built in case the enemy would break out from
the area. After all this never took place, and the enemy troops left the area by sea.
Picture library of Harparskog dugout.
The Soviet Army in Hanko
Residences | Louhisaari | Marshal's Cabin | Boman Villa | Kirkniemi | Val-Mont | Stamps | Cars | Riding | Journeys | Hunting | Weapons | Outfits | Memoirs | Files | Mannerheim Literature | Monuments | Statue | Dishes | Jäger Flag | Hanko | Mannerheim-museo | Karjalaan jääneet sankarivainajat | Videot ja kuvakirjastot | Linkkisivu
COURSE OF LIFE | FAMILY | TIME OF GROWTH | MILITARY CAREER | WAR OF INDEPENDENCE | REGENT 1918-1919 | CIVILIAN | DEFENCE COUNCIL | COMMANDER-IN-CHIEF 1939-1946 | PRESIDENT OF THE REPUBLIC 1944-1946 | RETIREMENT | SPECIAL TOPICS | SEARCH